ESS picks up 21 medals at 2015 Scottish Culinary ChampionshipsESS Support Services Worldwide (ESS), part of Compass Group, the world's leading food and support services company, showcased the skill and talent within its offshore teams at the recently held 2015 Scottish Culinary Championships.
ESS had cause to celebrate following the two-day event after winning 21 medals across the 14 categories. These consisted of two golds, 12 silvers, two of which were first in class, six bronze medals and a merit.
This amazing success demonstrates the high calibre of its chefs offshore and the quality of the food they produce within their clients businesses.
Scot Hot also highlighted the strong training and development partnership ESS has with New College Lanarkshire, as a team of the colleges’ aspiring student chefs competed under the guidance and mentorship of Graham Singer, ESS food operations manager.
The competition took place at Scot Hot, Scotland’s biggest food, drink and tourism trade show, at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre in Glasgow at the beginning of March 2015.
ESS Offshore business director Ronnie Kelman said: “Our phenomenal success at this year’s event gives ESS great pride in its people.
“Graham’s commitment to developing the skills of our staff and the students at New College Lanarkshire has been exceptional and this was the stage which showcased it.
“It is our belief that the college partnership will be significant in the development of the next generation of chefs.”
The gold winners were:
• Kayleigh Turner, ESS and New College Lanarkshire, who won gold for her Petit Four entry
• Barry McNairney, ESS and New College Lanarkshire, who won gold for his Restaurant Plates main course
Other winners were:
Petit Fours Category:
• Rachel Michie, ESS Offshore,TOTAL E&P, silver
• Ulai Mawson, ESS Offshore, Maersk resilient, silver
• Gordon Mackenzie, ESS Offshore, COSL Rival, silver
• Gordon Mackenzie, ESS Offshore COSL Rival, silver
• Robert Flannigan, ESS Offshore,TOTAL E&P, silver - first in class
• Steve Olbert, ESS Offshore, Alba North, bronze
Restaurant Plates – Fish Course
• Danny McGowan, ESS Offshore & New College Lanarkshire, silver first in class
Floral Sugar Craft
• Stephen Benn, ESS Offshore Safe Boreas, silver
Restaurant Plates – Main Course
• Martin Walker, ESS Offshore, COSL Rival, silver
• John Struzik, ESS Offshore & New College Lanarkshire, bronze
• Innis Linn, ESS Offshore Prospector 5, bronze
• Ronnie Cleland, ESS Offshore Alba North, silver - second in class
• Gordon Mackenzie, ESS Offshore, COSL Rival, bronze third in class
Scottish Contract Chef of the Year
• Chris McLeod, ESS Offshore, TOTAL E&P, merit
Works in Pastillage
• Ulai Mawson, ESS Offshore, Maersk resilient, bronze
• Laura McNeil, ESS Offshore & New College Lanarkshire, bronze
Scottish Chef of The Year
• Dougal MacPherson, ESS Offshore & New College Lanarkshire, silver - joint third in class
Student Challenge Scottish Tapas
• Natalie McFarlane & Lianne Hallford, ESS Offshore & New College Lanarkshire, silver
Scottish Colleges Culinary Challenges
• Amy Brown & Chloe Robertson, ESS Offshore & New College Lanarkshire, silver